In so many words, guacamole is heaven on Earth. It can go without saying that I love food - that should be obvious seeing as I have been writing on Smak for over four years. But when we are talking about favorite foods? Well, there are some clear front-runners and guacamole, or avocado in general, is a top contender.
Just looking at a typical week - I can count numerous times that I eat something with avocado in it:
- burrito bowl from Chipotle
- an entire container of pre-made guacamole from Whole Foods
- avocado toast for breakfast
And that's just on average. For real. I love me some avocado.
Now let's talk in hypotheticals for a moment. What happens, if for some reason, you find yourself in a bind and are unable to finish all of the guacamole that you made for a dinner party (*cough*yourself and Netflix*cough*)? Are you supposed to just throw it away and waste and that goodness? Hell no! Resist the urge to waste food and tightly wrap it up with plastic wrap. Here comes the recipe for your next meal!
Mix in a little clam juice, some ice water, and little salt and pepper and BAM - hello inspired summer soup! I've evidently been on a chilled soup kick lately, and for good reason - it's been a hot few weeks in Chicago and there is something so refreshing about enjoying a nice cool soup on a sticky summer's night.
Now I realize that it might be painful for you to resist finishing your daily dose of guacamole, but give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below.
| Chilled Avocado Soup Topped with Crab |
Recipe from Food & Wine
1 cup of guacamole with charred jalapeño and scallions (recipe below)
1 cup cold buttermilk
3/4 cup bottled clam juice
1/2 cup ice water
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
salt and pepper
Jumbo lump crab meat
crème fraîche, fried tortilla strips and finely chopped chives, for garnish
- In a blender, puree the guacamole with the cold buttermilk, bottled clam juice, ice water and lime juice.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Pour the soup into 4 bowls and top with the jumbo lump crab meat.
- Garnish each bowl of soup with crème fraîche, fried tortilla strips and finely chopped chives.
| Guacamole with Charred Jalapeño and Scallions |
Recipe from Food & Wine
3 medium scallions, white and tender green parts only
2 medium garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 jalapeño, seeded and quartered lengthwise
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 hass avocados, halved and pitted
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat a grill pan. In a small bowl, toss the scallions, garlic and jalapeño with the vegetable oil.
- Grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until charred all over, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a work surface and let cool.
- Finely chop the scallions and jalapeño and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Peel the garlic cloves, mash them to a paste and add them to the bowl.
- Scoop the avocado flesh into the bowl and coarsely mash with a fork.
- Fold the cilantro and lime juice into the guacamole, season with salt and pepper and serve.