I have been meaning to attempt a grilled pizza for longer than I can remember. For some reason or another it just has not happened. Until this past week. My brother is home from college for the summer and has been bugging me time and time again to make pizzas on the grill. So while I was out getting groceries for the week, I bought the ingredients for a few different pizzas and the decision was made. We were grilling pizza.
If I am being honest, I had no idea what I was doing. Putting pizza dough on the grill seemed like a terrible idea. Wouldn't it just go limp between the grates? Another skill that I have lots of room for improvement upon is my pizza tossing skills. From the picture below, it is clear to see that Tommy cannot toss pizza dough into a circle.
While I've never grilled pizza before, I have made it from scratch and cooked it in a conventional oven. My favorite thing about pizza is the infinite amount of topping options. Green olive and onion. Shredded chicken with buffalo sauce and bleu cheese. Arugula, prosciutto and mozzarella cheese. You can cater your toppings to whatever your tastes and favorites flavors are. For this pizza I used the pesto sauce I had previously made and combined it with bacon, asparagus and goat cheese.
I chose to cut a few corners due to lack of time (and natural light). I purchased a pre-made pizza dough at my local grocery store and chose to go that route. More often than not this tastes just as good and is considerably easier and time conscious. I will however make another pizza with a homemade dough.
Have you ever tried grilling pizza? What are your favorite toppings or combinations of ingredients?
Grilled Bacon, Asparagus & Goat Cheese Pizza
8 ounces asparagus, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick coins pizza dough (I used fresh pre-made dough from the store) olive oil, for brushing Kosher salt 1/4 cup basil pesto 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese 6 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Heat half of a gas or charcoal grill to high (about 400°F) and the other half to low (about 300°F). Fill a large saucepan with heavily salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add asparagus and cook until just tender, about 1 minute. Strain and rinse with cold water, drain well, and set aside.
- Divide dough in 1/2 and roll into 2 rounds about 1/4 inch thick and 10 inches in diameter. Brush the top of 1 round with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Lay dough oiled side down on the hotter half of the grill and brush the top with oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill dough without moving until grill marks form on the bottom, about 2 minutes.
- Flip dough with a spatula or tongs to the cooler half of the grill, spread with 1/2 of the pesto, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan, 1/2 of the bacon, 1/2 of the reserved asparagus, and 1/2 of the goat cheese. Cover and grill, rotating if necessary to avoid any hot spots, until dough is lightly charred and cheese is melted, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer pizza to a cutting board, sprinkle 1 tablespoon more of the Parmesan over top, slice, and serve. Repeat with second round of dough and remaining toppings.