Looks like we're a little later than usual on today's post, for a number of reasons:
- Today is Labor Day, which means no work and more sleep time for Tommy.
- I have within the last week started catching up on Season 2 of Chicago Fire. In an attempt to be all caught up before the September 23 premiere, I have been watching incessantly. Yesterday consisted of Chicago Fire, laying in bed, eating roasted gorgonzola crackers, one 30-minute trip to Trader Joe's, and eating dinner in bed while watching Chicago Fire. Clearly my mind was not quite focused on SMAK...
Grilled vegetables are one of my favorite summer dishes and this recipe is incredible. Feel free to substitute any of the vegetables for ones of your own choosing. I found that asparagus, carrots, red peppers, summer squash and onions provide a great array of options and make for a beautiful vibrant presentation.
I wanted to keep today's post quick so you are all able to enjoy this holiday with family and friends. Happy Labor Day!
Grilled Vegetable Medley
1/4 cup olive oil 2 tablespoons honey 4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar 1 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 1/8 teaspoon pepper Dash salt 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed 3 small carrots, cut in half lengthwise 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch strips 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- In a small bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients.
- Place 3 tablespoons marinade in a large resealable plastic bag. Add vegetables; seal bag and turn to coat. Marinate 1-1/2 hours at room temperature.
- Transfer vegetables to a grilling grid; place grid on grill rack.
- Grill vegetables, covered, over medium heat 8-12 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning occasionally.
- Place vegetables on a large serving plate. Drizzle with remaining marinade.