The beginning of a new year comes with goals and resolutions that we hope to hold ourselves accountable to throughout the year. More often than not, we fail within the first month. Life happens and we give up.
2015 is the year of water. 64+ ounces per day and you'll be off to a healthy start. Really though, how much difference can a healthy intake of water make in your life? It's amazing the difference a little water can make. Don't believe me? Just read through some of these proven health benefits of drinking more water. Water helps:
- maintain the balance of bodily fluids
- control calories
- energize muscles
- keep skin looking good
- good kidney health
- maintain normal bowel functions
If you are anything like us here at Smak though, plain water can get rather mundane after the fourth glass of water. So we like to add a little flavor to mix things up a bit. The standout favorite is lemon cucumber and mint, but there are many other infusion ideas:
- Strawberry, lemon and basil
- Orange and blueberry
- Watermelon and mint
- Strawberry, lime and mint
- Citrus and cilantro
- Rosemary and grapefruit
- Blueberry and lavender
- Herbs: rosemary, thyme, mint, basil, cilantro, parsley
- Edible flowers: rose, lavender, citrus blossoms, hibiscus, pansies, violets (or any that are 100% pesticide free)
- Fruit: berries (fresh or frozen), melon, tropical fruits, citrus, apples, pears
- Vegetables: cucumber, celery, fennel, carrots
Give some of these ideas a try to see if you can notice a difference in how you feel day-to-day.
Lemon Cucumber Mint Infused Water
1 cup sliced cucumbers 2 lemons, sliced 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves water
- In a half-gallon jar, or a 2 quart pitcher, layer the cucumbers, lemon slices, and mint leaves.
- Fill jar or pitcher with water.
- Refrigerate until cold, and then enjoy!