door county, oh how i love thee.
seriously though. you could pay me a starbucks salary to live in a 1 room cabin on the shores of sister bay, cook for SMAK, and writes books for your reading enjoyment. go ahead, twist my arm.
i spent this past weekend with the parental units and family friends, the larsons, at their home in sister bay. the weekend was plumb full of bloody marys, playing cards, fall fest antics, more bloody marys, campfires, and midnight walks through the woods. to say it was a much-needed escape would be putting it lightly. i could have stayed an entire week.
earlier in the week, i took it upon myself to make dinner for my parents. the only trick? no recipe. i was not allowed to open a cookbook. nor could i go onto my favorite food blogs and snatch a tasty recipe. i, thomas scott, had to make this on my own. using some of the friendly mentoring advice that angie previously bestowed upon me, i came up with this healthy weeknight meal!
i was pleasantly surprised to see how much i enjoyed this meal and the combination on flavors. my problem in the kitchen is this: i know what i like, what flavors i enjoy, but i lack confidence in throwing them together on my own. to this i say, snap out of it! if you're in the same predicament, i repeat myself, snap out of it! know what you like, what flavors go well together, and be confident in it. if it doesn't work out? so what. now we know what does and doesn't work! there is a lack of definitive measurements for this reason, use this as a guideline for your next meal. take inspiration from my recipe, but make it your own.
so until next time...happy eating!
lemon dill salmon
ingredients: fresh lemon juice shallot, sliced dill salmon filets
- preheat oven for 400° f.
- rinse filets and place on piece of parchment paper.
- slice shallot and place atop filet with sprinkling of dill and squeeze of lemon juice.
- tuck the parchment paper around the filet creating an enclosure.
- cook in oven for approximately 12 minutes, or until done.
- let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
ingredient: 1 head cauliflower handful chives, chopped 1 teaspoon butter salt and pepper, to taste
- bring water to boil in pan.
- boil cauliflower until tender, about 10 minutes.
- place all ingredients in blender or food processor and mix.
ingredients: bunch asparagus olive oil sea salt
- toss asparagus, olive oil and sea salt in zip lock bag.
- grill for 8-10 minutes, rotating occasionally.