In a few short weeks (13 days to be exact), I will be moving out of my 2-bedroom apartment and will be venturing into the life of single living. Not just any single living though, studio living. I am a little nervous as the square footage is drastically decreasing, but I am excited for a new challenge and to have a space that I can call my own. One that I can design how I want. Clean how I want. And enjoy how I want.
As the moving date quickly approaches I have been trying to do research on tips and advice on hot to best utilize the space available and live within a smaller space. As always, Apartment Therapy has been my go-to. Whether I am admiring other people's apartments or reading up on their advice for small kitchens (I will need to listen closely to this, my new kitchen is minuscule!), it is so much fun to see what others do. With that said, here are some of the best pieces of advice that I've stumble upon:
- Thou shalt declutter your domicile.
- Thou shalt get a system to stay organized.
- Thou shalt make your furniture do double duty.
- Thou shalt be careful with color.
- Thou shalt utilize your wall space.
- Thou shalt scrutinize scale.
- Thou shalt embrace visually light furniture.
- Thou shalt spend time outside your home.
- Thou shalt keep it clean.
- Thou shalt keep your sense of humor.
- Hang everything.
- Use the oven as storage.
- Burner covers are your friends.
- Cabinet shelves, cabinet shelves, cabinet shelves!
- Ditch your single-use appliances.