As a blogger, it's my job to stay on top of the latest food trends. The one that I am talking about today...well, I may be behind the game a little bit. It's better to be late than never?
Turmeric latte. Golden milk.
Call it whatever you'd like, but I have been seeing this everywhere - blogs, Instagram, Snapchat, magazines. I never really taken the time to know the health benefits of turmeric, that is until I forced myself to make a latte on my own and get educated on the subject. So, first thing's first, let's outline a few of those benefits:
- Turmeric dramatically increases the antioxidant capacity of the body
- Boosts brain-derived neurotrophic factor, linked to improved brain function and a lower risk of brain diseases
- Leads to various improvements that should lower your risk of heart disease
- Can help prevent (and perhaps even treat) cancer
- Studies show that curcumin has incredible benefits against depression
At the end of the day, I've drank one turmeric beverage in my life and it was this past weekend for Smak. The health benefits? I don't know, I am not a scientist, nor have experience studying to effects of it. But what I can speak to is the taste. In the spirit of being honest, the jury is still out. I didn't hate it. I didn't love it. I am absolutely going to make a few more to get a firm grasp of my opinions. I've included the recipe from Bon Appétit below, please try it out for yourself and let me know your thoughts in the comments below.
Iced Turmeric Latte
Recipe from Bon Appetit
1 cup cashew milk
4 teaspoons finely grated fresh turmeric
2 teaspoons finely grated palm sugar or raw sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 pinches of ground cardamom
Pinch of flaky sea salt
Lemon wedge (for serving)
- Whisk milk, turmeric, palm sugar, ginger, lemon juice, cardamom, and salt in a small bowl until sugar and salt have dissolved; let sit 5 minutes to let flavors meld.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a measuring cup, pressing on solids to extract juices; discard solids.
- Fill a glass with ice. Pour latte over and serve with lemon wedge.