In its truest form, a road trip is a journey over long distances made in a car. When I think of road trips I typically envision driving the West Coast along Highway 1 or seeing the heartland while speeding on Route 66. Realistically though, the road trips that I take are much much shorter than that - think one to five hours. Not quite the same, but I will take whatever I can get.
With every road trip, no matter the length, comes a checklist of must haves and things to do. Here are the things that I absolutely have to have when getting in the car for an extended period of time.
• Coffee: If you are like my grandparents, you may brew a pot of coffee at home and pour it into a thermos to enjoy on the road. Now, if you are just as basic as I am, a quick stop at Starbucks is first on the list of things to do. I mean really, a road trip isn't complete without a trenta unsweetened iced coffee, followed by a few bathrooms stop. Let's be real.
• Food: More often than not, this is one of the first things that I forget. In the chaos of trying to get on the road in time, my mind never ceases to forget to grab a bag of goldfish or a few granola bars. Enter Starbucks + THINK JERKY! You guys, this is a game changer - this incredible brand of jerky is now available at Starbucks locations. I don't think I will ever have to worry about grabbing food before leaving the house because I know that I can always pick up a few bags of this delicious all natural jerky.
• Music: Road trips would absolutely suck without this key factor. Make sure you have your iPhone loaded with your favorite jams, or have some playlists queued up on Spotify. Celine Dion karaoke sessions on the road? Obviously.
• Comfortable clothes: A few hours in the car can be a breeze, but it can also be one of the most uncomfortable experiences. Make sure that you are wearing comfortable clothes - jeans and a sweatshirt, yoga pants, no pants, whatever your heart desires!
• Camera: What is the point of a good road trip if there is no way to document it?!
• Sunglasses: Because I wear my sunglasses at night. Okay, no I don't, but these are an absolute must during the day! And you look pretty cool driving with the windows down and your shades on.
• Good company: The whole point of a road trip is to have fun, so make the most of it and enjoy those hours in the car!
A special thanks to Think Jerky for
making this article possible.